Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Science Project Reminders and new FINAL DUE DATE

Students and Parents,

Due to the overlapping of  the Challenger Trip and the Science Project due date I am announcing a NEW DUE DATE!!!!! Please read on....

As of right now(Tuesday, December 15, at 4:07 pm) Science projects may only be submitted to me on the following dates:
Wednesday, December 16; Monday, January 4; and Wednesday, January 6. ONLY the research paper and backboard are turned in to me. The SPDL is used for your oral presentation.

CONGRATULATIONS to the students who turned in projects TODAY!!!! You Rock. Now you are the only ones without science homework for the rest of this year (2009). Everybody else has science homework until they finish the ENTIRE project.

Just a few words about what I don't want to see or hear in your project.....
  • My hypothesis was right.
  • My hypothesis was wrong
  • My data was right
  • My data was wrong
  • I was right
  • I was wrong
  • WE (unless you have a mouse in your pocket)
  • I proved something


Why do I say this ??????????????????
Not just because I said so, but because of the following:
  • Nothing is right or wrong in science.
  •  Your data either supports your hypothesis or not.
  • The data indicate something. This is your individual project.
  • You may have had some help or supervision, but it's YOUR project. YOU picked it, YOU did it,  YOU have to explain it. YOU are responsible for it - NO ONE else is sharing the grade with YOU. If you say WE I might think that you did a team project and at this time no one was authorized to work on a team project.
  • You won't be proving anything. You certainly will never prove a theory. A theory in science is not like a theory in a mystery story or elsewhere. You haven't done enough work to prove anything this year.
REMEMBER,
You've had months to get 'er done. It's time to just do it. I will not be available for questions during the holidays so please put on your thinking cap, use your resources wisely, and do your best. The research paper rubric is posted so USE it.

No comments: