Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The 2010-2011 School Year is off to a great start

This is the first official posting for my new students and their parents or cargivers. Welcome to JLCP and to the 6th grade team. We are going to have some fun this year in science, but you will also learn some new info, you will stretch your brain at times, and you will have the opportunity for some real scientific thinking. Many of you students have realized the importance of rule 14 of the safety contract. If you can't remember what it is or you want to explain what it means to the folks at home just turn to p. 5 of your ISN where you put your copy of the signed safety contract.

Safety is important in science class. By practicing safe science you will find yourself doing science rather than just observing from the sideline. Speaking of doing science, did the data support your hypothesis about how to get more water on the penny? We will talk about how scientists use data to support or reject a hypothesis rather than saying they were right. We just don't say - "I was right" or "I was wrong" because we can learn from an experience where the data doesn't support the hypothesis. More on this in class. We will not be doing a lab Thursday, Friday, Tuesday, or Wednesday so I won't be checking shoes on those days. I'll let you know and I will try to make sure to announce it on this blog.

Don't forget that Tuesday is OPEN HOUSE and I will present a short program about science projects for your parents between 5:15 and 5:45. I will explain - VERY QUICKLY- the adult sponsor role for science projects. You and I will spend class time so that you will learn how to do a project from identifying an area of interest to defining your variables. Both Mrs. Hayden and I will lead out students through the process of a science project. Actually, we started the introduction to the process when you found out that scientists build questions from observations.

I will see all of you in class on either A or B day. TTFN.

No comments: