Thursday, February 03, 2011

Info for PARENTS

Parents,

I've had the opportunity to meet many of you since Open House last fall. Some of our conferences, conversations, phone calls, and e-mails have been very productive. Here is some info that might help you and me do our best to help support our students.

1. Check your child's planner. You should see assignments listed - especially GIZMOS. You also might see a note from me that will keep you in the loop.
2. If you have a quick question for me - jot it down in the planner and have your child show it to me. I can often respond on the spot when I see the planner.
3. Make sure that your child knows your number at work or where you can be reached. If there's a problem/question that can be solved via a quick call during class then you may receive a call or at least a voice mail.
4. Make sure that your child has the necessary supplies everyday. This includes paper, pencils, and pens. If the ISN is getting filled up it may be time to purchase another composition book. I have a cup of pencils and pens that I keep available for emergencies, but a child should start the day with at least one sharpened pencil. I also keep scratch paper for emergencies so no child ever has the excuse of no paper or pencil/pen to do an assignment.
5. Provide time on the computer for your child to do the GIZMOs that I assign. Yes, they need to PRINT out the Student Exploration Guide (SEG)and COMPLETE it BEFORE doing the Assessment Questions (AQ). Gizmos provide a deeper learning experience for your child which should result in better AQ scores.
6. Ask them to show you proof of completion (print out the 1st page of the AQ which shows the score). If the grade is not 100% the student should re-do the GIZMO and AQ and print out a proof of completion which can be turned in on or before the due date for full credit. This is a built in safety net for anyone who honestly tries, but needs another chance.
7. Discuss with your child the benefits of turning work in on time. I will only accept major assignments with penalties as late work. Small assignments like notes over a chapter will not be accepted late except at the discretion of the teacher.
8. Use the grade portal. Watch for comments/messages about assignments or class behavior.
9. Hug your child every day.

No comments: