Friday, November 08, 2013

Mini-posters of Seasons, Science project proposals and LATE WORK

After I post this I will be grading and posting mini-poster grades along with GIZMO grades from Summer and Winter. 
I plan to grade proposals this weekend. Your grades should be posted by next week.
THANK YOU to all of you who turned in quality proposals. They take a while to grade (more work for me) but that is really a good thing. UNFORTUNATELY, some students did not do so well. You will receive commentary and a chance to Revise and Resubmit without a penalty as long as it was on time to begin with.

LATE WORK has become a terrible problem that eats away at valuable teacher/student time and teacher/prep for students time. As a result, I no longer will be as lenient as I have been in the past. Following a meeting of the 8th grade teachers where we discussed this concern, I am instituting the policy that " If you choose to turn in an assignment late your parent must write a note to me explaining why you are turning the assignment late and that they are aware of your late submission. Granted, it happens to the best students once in a very blue moon so a one time penalty will have minimal impact on a child's grade. However, habitual  late work will have an impact on a student's grade. By submitting a note which I will keep on file, parents are helping hold their child accountable for his or her work. Reminders and deadlines are posted on the blog and on the classroom board, so no one should ever have to say " I didn't know".

Late proposals are expected to be submitted on Tuesday, November 12 and Wednesday, November 13. These will have a penalty assessed for lateness, but they must be accompanied by a note from the parent. Please do not e-mail these notes. I want a handwritten record from parents about their own student's late assignments.

No comments: